Work From Home – Being Productive
The challenge of the COVID-19 is changing the way we do business and our communities altogether.
If you are not used to working remotely there are some things that you might want to do to keep yourself motivated and focused.
We know that there are a few things that might distract you from your “normal” production; your spouse, kids, pets and maybe Netflix.
Here are some tips to keep you productive:
- Create and stick to a routine. Get up at your normal time, get dressed, make your bed, keep your mind into its normal productive stage.
- Plan and organize the day. Create a ‘To Do’ list and allot time slots for each task, make sure to include lunch and walks. A task list will give one a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.
- A specific workspace. Have a workspace area that isn’t distracted by other activities going on in the house.
- Take regular breaks for physical health and mental health. Go for a walk or run, do some yoga, take a break to read to the kids, these breaks will help you stay focused and productive.
- Stay in touch with others. Quick virtual team meetings, a short Facebook live time with a friend, some social connection.
- Have a schedule for the kids to follow, too. Schedule school activities, visit some museums virtually, schedule lunch, breaks and lots of recess.
- If possible, split the day with your spouse. Try to schedule the do not disturb time while your spouse can tend to kids and then switch for some time. Then do some catch-up time after the kids go to bed. (Do make sure they are kept on regular bedtime schedule).
- Use this time to teach older children life skills, like how to do laundry, cooking, cleaning the garage, etc.
- Embrace the chaos. If kids interrupt an online meeting, everyone will understand, they are all in the same chaos. Welcome the kids in or address their concerns quickly and move on.